Lemon Roast Chicken with Potatoes & Shallots
|Calories from Fat||150|
|Total Fat||17 g|
|Saturated Fat||4.5 g|
|Trans Fat||0 g|
|Total Carbs||28 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|
|Vitamin A||20 %|
|Vitamin C||45 %|
- Recipe serves:6
- Prep Time15 min
- Cook Time1 hr 45 min
- 6 Tbsp. (90 mL) Becel® Buttery Taste margarine*, divided
- 2 Knorr® Chicken Bouillon Cubes, crumbled
- 1 medium lemon, juiced (about 2-1/2 Tbsp./37 mL), rind reserved
- 1 whole chicken** (about 5-1/2-lbs./2.5 kg)
- 1 1/2 lbs. (675 g) new potatoes, scrubbed
- 12 ounces (350 g) shallots (about 6 medium), halved, if large
- Preheat oven to 375° F/190 C. Combine 4 Tbsp. (60 mL) Becel® Buttery Taste margarine, Knorr® Chicken Bouillon Cubes and lemon juice in small microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave at HIGH 30 seconds; stir until Bouillon is dissolved. Cool slightly.
- Place chicken in large roasting pan and place squeezed lemon rind into cavity. Evenly spoon Bouillon mixture over chicken. Toss potatoes, shallots and remaining 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) margarine in large bowl. Arrange around chicken in roasting pan.
- Roast 1 hour. Baste chicken with pan juices and stir vegetables; continue roasting, basting chicken and stirring vegetables occasionally, until vegetables are tender and instant read thermometer inserted in thickest part of chicken thigh reaches 165° (75 C), about 45 minutes.
- Remove vegetables and chicken to serving platter; serve.
- *Becel Gold in Quebec.
Each serving of this dish is a good source of iron and vitamin C.
- For a special touch, try making this easy gravy. Skim fat from pan juices and strain (if desired) into small saucepan. Whisk together 1/4 cup (60 mL) water and 1 Tbsp. (15 mL) flour in small bowl; add to pan juices and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, whisking occasionally. Reduce heat and simmer, whisking occasionally, until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes.
TIP: To make with chicken parts, toss shallots and potatoes with the 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) margarine and arrange in large roasting pan. Place 5-1/2-lbs (2.5 kg) chicken parts on top of vegetables and spoon bouillon mixture from above recipe over chicken. Roast at 375°F (190° C) until chicken is thoroughly cooked and vegetables are tender, about 45 minutes, basting once or twice halfway through.
** If roasting a 2-1/2 to 3 lbs. (1.25 kg to 1.5 kg) chicken, use 3 Tbsp. (45mL) Becel, 1 Knorr® Chicken Bouillon Cube, 1-1/2 Tbsp. (22mL) lemon juice or one small lemon, 1 lb. (450g) new potatoes and 3 medium shallots. Roast as directed above until chicken is thoroughly cooked and potatoes and shallots are tender, about 1 hr. 20 minutes.