Homemade Falafel With Middle Eastern Chopped Salad
|Calories from Fat||170|
|Total Fat||20 g|
|Saturated Fat||2.5 g|
|Trans Fat||0 g|
|Total Carbs||28 g|
|Dietary Fiber||8 g|
|Vitamin A||20 %|
|Vitamin C||25 %|
- Recipe serves:6
- Prep Time15 min
- Cook Time15 min
- Chill Time30 min
- 2 cans (540 mL ea.) chick peas, rinsed and drained
- 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) PLUS 1/4 cup (60 mL) chopped fresh parsley leaves, divided
- 1 package Knorr® Vegetable Dry Soup Mix
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. (5 mL) ground cumin
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped (about 1-1/2 cups/375 mL)
- 1 small cucumber, chopped (about 1-1/2 cups/375 mL)
- 7 Tbsp. (105 mL) Becel® Oil, divided
- 1 Tbsp. (15 mL) fresh lemon juice
- Mash chick peas in large bowl with potato masher until no large pieces are left. (Chick peas should not be smooth like hummus). Stir in 2 tablespoons (30 mL) parsley, Knorr® Vegetable Dry Soup Mix, egg and cumin. Cover and chill 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine tomatoes, cucumber, remaining 1/4 cup (60 mL) parsley, 1 tablespoon (15 mL) Oil and lemon juice in medium bowl. Season to taste, if desired, with salt and pepper.
- Shape chick pea mixture into 24 (2 inch/5 cm X 1/2-inch/1.5 cm thick)patties. Heat 2 tablespoons (30 mL) oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and cook 8 patties, gently turning once, until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Repeat twice using 2 tablespoons Oil (30 mL) per batch. Serve salad and falafel, if desired, with warm whole wheat pita bread and tzaziki sauce.
- Tip: Stir toasted pieces of pita bread into the Salad to make a traditional Fattoush.
Chick peas help to boost protein and iron in any dish. So be sure to keep them always on hand in the cupboard.
Each serving of this falafel and salad dish is an excellent source of fibre.