Hearty Slow Cooker Beef Stew
Add a splash of your favorite dry red wine for more depth of flavor.
- Recipe serves:6
- Prep Time20 min
- Cook Time5 hr 30 min
- 1 pot Knorr® Homestyle Stock Beef
- 3 1/4 cups water
- 1 1/2 lbs. boneless beef stew meat, cut into 1-in. (2.5 cm) pieces
- Ground black pepper
- 4 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp. Becel® Oil
- 1 lb. medium potatoes, cut into cubes, about 3 cups (750 mL.)
- 4 medium carrots, sliced, about 2 cups (500 mL.)
- 2 medium onions, cut into wedges
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. dried thyme leaves, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup frozen green peas, thawed
- Pour boiling water over Knorr® Homestyle Stock in large measuring cup or bowl; stir until dissolved. Set aside.
- Season beef with black pepper, then coat with 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) flour. Heat oil in 10-in. (25 cm) skillet over medium-high heat and brown beef, in two batches, stirring frequently; set aside.
- Place the potatoes, carrots, onions and garlic into 5-qt. (5 L) slow cooker. Add beef, 3 cups (750 mL) broth, Worcestershire sauce, thyme and bay leaf. Cover and cook on LOW 8 hours or HIGH 5 hours or until beef is fork-tender. Remove and discard bay leaf.
- Blend remaining 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) flour with 1/4 cup (60 mL) broth in small bowl until smooth. Stir flour mixture, then peas into slow cooker. Increase the heat to HIGH. Cover and cook 15 minutes or until mixture boils and thickens.