Vegetarian Barley Soup
|Total Fat||3 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Trans Fat||0 g|
|Total Carbs||20 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|
|Vitamin C||8 %|
- Recipe serves:8
- Prep Time20 min
- Cook Time40 min
- 1 Tbsp. (15 mL) olive oil
- 1 package (300 g.) mushrooms, chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup (250 mL) finely chopped carrots
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp. (15 mL) tomato paste
- 8 cups (2 L) water
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) quick-cooking barley
- 2 pots Knorr® Homestyle Stock Vegetable
- 1 tsp. (5 mL) fresh oregano leaves
- 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Heat olive oil in (2 L) saucepot over high heat and cook mushrooms, stirring frequently, until golden, about 4 minutes. Stir in onion and carrots and cook, stirring occasionally, until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-high and stir in garlic and tomato paste and cook, stirring occasionally, 3 minutes.
- Add water, barley, Knorr® Homestyle Stock - Vegetable and oregano. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer until barley is cooked, about 30 minutes. Stir in parsley. Serve, if desired, with hearty crusty bread.
- Each serving of this soup provides 1½ servings of vegetables and is a source of fibre and vitamin C.